Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Epidural vs. Natural Birth

'Scuse me ladies, but when did we decide that those that could withstand and succeed in a natural birth were better than those that opted for pain medication? When did we decide that natural makes you better? When? Because I don't remember voting.

I can't tell you how many women have shared their personal birth stories, which I love hearing by the way, with me. I also must say that it's pretty even out there with natural births, c-sections and mama's that chose an epidural, either from the beginning or half way through. I'm here to tell you that no matter which method your little bae came into this world, it was the right way.

In talking to some of these women, I found that some (not all) stuck their noses up a bit when saying that they did a completely natural birth. Well hoorah for you. I tried. I really did. But 5 hours in, are you freaking kidding me? Get me the drugs!! And they were amazing. I didn't feel anything. I could talk, I could smile, I could text my friends and let them know what's going on...I'm glad I didn't lay there in agony for 17 hours waiting for P to get here. And in case you were wondering, P is in no way damaged from my labor-drug-loving-self.

But then you have those natural women who are sitting up on their thrones who think because they were able to withstand the pain to bring their child into the world that they are in some way better than those who didn't, or couldn't. If you were able to proceed with your natural birth, I'm proud of you, I really am. Natural birth, medicated-free labor, cannot be an easy task. I can only imagine that it is difficult and takes an extreme amount of focus. BUT, an epidural does not make you less of a warrior. An epidural does not mean you failed and weren't as strong or don't have a high pain tolerance...it means you didn't want to suffer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we all bring babies into the world? Didn't we all go through pregnancy and labor and give birth and have to figure out what to do with this little newborn? So why are we judging eachother and making a difficult process that much harder?

So I ask you ladies, can't we just all get along????

No comments:

Post a Comment